Monday, January 26, 2009

one dress to rule them all

Photobucket
This is an offshoot of an h&m dress from a few seasons ago. Many, many, fashionable girls were swanning about the internet in a version of this dress and the minute I clapped eyes on it, I knew I wanted it. I just didn't know how to get it.

At that point I was living in Shanghai. I wandered over to the recently opened downtown H&M to poke about in the racks. No luck. But this is China, I said to myself, and that is H&M. The H&M dress is likely an iteration of some catwalk conception, and if it's good enough to be interpreted by the Swedes, it is damn well good enough to lifted by designers in China.

Many months later in the scrum of the bargain Qipu shopping markets I discovered the above gem hanging in a rack of bedazzled shirts and awkward fitting pants. I inquired about the price and the boutique owner quoted $20; I nearly started hyperventilating with excitement. By that point I would have given a kidney, a gold mine, or perhaps even a small elven ring of power, to have that dress. She mistook my pause for hesitation and dropped the price to $12. I paid, folded the dress into my purse, and walked away with a goofy grin on my face, the theme from Rocky ringing in my ears.

No comments: