Sunday, February 1, 2009

springsteen in overtime


Photobucket
I will be spending this evening in front of the television watching hulking multi-millionaires in tights run after an egg-shaped ball. Not normally my cup of tea but I've been told there will be elaborate snacks on offer, which appeals to me greatly. I spent a large portion of last night on the dance floor shaking my tail and possibly throwing out my back; I am excited to loaf about in front of the television for a bit.

More my cup of tea: old school Bruce Springsteen. Especially pre-Born in the USA lanky and bearded Springsteen. Simplicity- well-fitting jeans and a t-shirt- seems to be lost in the world of men's fashion these days, awash in boot cut jeans, square-toe shoes and tribal-symbol button-up shirts.
Look for him at the half-time show. The years have beat down on him, and he has been sporting a spotty goatee and earrings lately, but his music still breaks my heart in the best possible ways. I would sell all my worldly possessions to go back in time to 1975 and be at this concert.

Photobucket
Recommended Listening: I'm on Fire, Backstreets, Jungleland, Streets of Fire, Janey Don't You Lose Heart, Bobby Jean, Badlands, Growin' Up, The River, Dancing in the Dark, Darkness on the Edge of Town, Sad Eyes, Waiting on a Sunny Day, and everything. Also, Sexton Blake's sadsack cover of Hungry Heart.

Matt Dillon in Francis Ford Coppola's 'Rumble Fish' (based on the book by S.E Hinton) also has the sharp yet slouchy cool I admire in a fellow.
Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

4 comments:

Emily said...

I really don't understand what was wrong with the half-time show, I thought Bruce was amazing! People were just pissed because he didn't play Born In The USA... He does have other songs...

Great photos too btw. I love your blog! =)

kittenmasks said...

This has reminded me that I need a leather vest pronto. Also, it's nice to know that kids these days haven't gotten dumber. There shouldn't be an apostrophe in "Boy's".

Te said...

I've never heard of 'Rumble Fish' but after seeing those pictures I really want to watch it.

Te said...

Oh, and I noticed the wayward apostrophe also. Shame.